Friday, May 30, 2014

Pregancy/The Day Jazlyn was born

I've been meaning to get back to blogging ever since Jazlyn was born....better late than never I guess! If you know me you know I'm not big on writing, like at all. So keeping a journal is like a chore to me, one that I avoid at all costs! But I really wanted to keep a log of Jazlyns life so that Wes, Jazlyn, and I could be able to look back on it. So while Wes is keeping a journal about her, i'm keeping a blog about her! And I will try my hardest to keep it updated as much as possible, especially now that we live so far away from our family and friends! 

So to start things off I think I better reminisce on my pregnancy and the day we welcomed our little angel into the world! And if you're reading this please do NOT feel obligated to read the whole thing...I know it's long and I babble...and the reason I go on and on and put in all the details is cuz this is taking place of keeping a journal. And I want to write down every detail so we can always remember and when we read it feel like we are there again.

Here we go-
 (Part 1)

June 2013 I got a bladder infection that turned into a kidney infection and as a result I had to go into my OBGYN. After they told me it had turned into a kidney infection and gave me a shot in the back they told me that I should probably take a pregnancy test since this is a common thing for pregnant women. And in my head I was like 'Pregnant? There's no way.' So I just nodded, said thank you and left. As I drove home I remembered an experience I had in the temple in Hawaii a little over a month before. And when I was sitting in the temple a picture popped into my head of Wes walking up and down a halfway in our house holding a baby in a pink blanket. My thought was, 'Oh that's cute! He's gonna be such a good dad one day.' Little did I know how true that picture that popped into my head was. A couple days later I just couldn't get those words that the nurse said to me out of my head. So I went to the store, took a test (okay I took like 4) and voila! I was pregnant. Surprise!!!

Holy crap. A flood of emotions overcame me: happy, excited, scared, confused. We were on birth control so how could we be pregnant? But I guess it's true what they say, that babies come when they want to! Even though kids weren't in the plans for us for a while we were very excited. Yes, it may have taken us a couple days to get used to the idea, but then we couldn't stop thinking about if it was a boy or girl or what it's going to be like to be parents or the day she's born...the list just goes on and on! And once our excitement hit we just couldn't keep the secret and leeked the good news to our families and friends. 

My pregnancy was good, I definitely lucked out. I was nauseous, but only threw up a handful of times. I didn't really swell a ton, didn't have a ton of cravings except for KFC, pizza, diet dr pepper, and ritz crackers with chocolate milk. But around 24 weeks I started getting really dizzy whenever I got up and couldn't really do much. So I went into my OBGYN and they did some tests and an ultrasound and then broke the news to me that our baby was quite behind growing wise, especially her stomach. He then referred us to a perinatologist. We saw the peri the next day and he confirmed what my doctor had said. She was about a month behind and her stomach was a little bit more behind. So he was concerned about her getting enough and concerned with the position of my placenta. As for the dizziness it was just a bad case of vertigo. They kept a close eye on me and her for the rest of the pregnancy, hoping that I could keep her in me til she was at least full term. We prayed so much for her to grow so she wouldn't have to be delivered early. At about 34 weeks I started getting strong contractions and was put on bedrest. At 37 weeks I was taken off bedrest and already dilating. We all thought the baby would come so fast. But even with all the intense contractions I wasn't dilating enough for them to admit me. So at 39 weeks they induced me cuz she was so small and in the two previous weeks her heart rate had gone crazy high then crazy low so they thought it was best to get her out, but induced me so they could be there for the whole labor to keep a close eye on her and her heart rate. So February 18th at about 7pm I was admitted and they began the process. The drugs worked fast and my contractions were in full swing about 15 mins later. At about midnight I gave in and got the epidural. Which, let me tell you, is heavenly! At 9am I was only a 5. At 9:30am I was an 8 and my water had broke and at 10 I was fully dilated but they didn't want me to start pushing til 10:30. 

10:30 rolled around and I started pushing. Within 20mins her head was in the canal and you could see her. The doctor said it'd be any minute. OH how he was wrong. I pushed for 3 more hours and still no baby. We tried so many things and still nothing. So the doctor came in and said that he was going to use some forceps and she'd be out in a couple minutes. He made a little cut down there, placed the forceps, and told me to push while he pulled. Now for those of you who don't know they are NOT gentle when they do this. He was pulling like no other and I thought he was going to yank her head off! He did two big pulls and she was not moving an inch. He then got very concerned and saw her heart rate drop a little and rushed me into the operating room to get her out. 

I was in the operating room probably less than 5 minutes later and Wes joined a couple minutes after that once he got his gown on. Once I was in there they wasted no time. The anesthesiologist was there and quickly drugged me up a ton. Another doctor joined and I was opened just like that. At this point I could hardly keep my eyes open, I had been awake for over 24 hrs and been pushing for 3 and a half hours. They were both in me up to over their elbows (which I still can't believe) and were searching for her. They couldn't find her apparently cuz she was so far down in the birth canal. Once they found her it took a while to get her out cuz she was stuck pretty good. As Wes accounts all my insides were outside of me and he saw my whole abdominal cavity. I told him he needs to record the next one so I can see! But once they un-wedged her they pulled her out and there was our baby girl!! 

 Jazlyn Amy Haskell
5lbs 14 oz 19 in
Born at 1:41pm

But they took no time wisking her away, Wes followed, and worked on getting her to cry. For some reason it took her a while to start crying which really worried me. And made me even more nervous that I couldn't see her or know what was going on. But a couple minutes later we heard that beautiful voice! But it was so soft and short, she didn't really end up doing her first loud cry til that night. While Wes was with Jazlyn I was still on the table listening to the two doctors talk about snowboarding and such haha. But they had me sewn up about a half hour later and had my placenta sent to the lab. Wes was able to bring our baby girl over to me for me to see her and for our faces to touch. 

To see the tears in Wes' eyes and to have my babies face touch mine was the best moment of my life. It is such an incredible feeling that I cannot describe. It's a love that you cannot describe. But that moment was short lived when they had to take her away to bathe her and had to get me to recovery. Shortly after I was back in the room where Wes and our families were waiting for us and had more meds put in me I was able to hold this angel in my arms. But that was also short lived cuz I was so shaky that I didn't feel safe holding her. But it was amazing to watch Wes and everyone else hold her and gaze into her eyes. I couldn't believe that not even an hour earlier she was in my belly and now she was here and ours! That whole day was so surreal and incredible. 


















2 comments:

  1. How sweet she is so adorable! That sounds like a scary delivery, but I'm so glad everything turned out okay! Hope you are having fun in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. first response pregnancy test

    ReplyDelete